Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How do You Design a Bed?

|----|

Done.

But seriously- project number 2 on the list is to design a build a bed so that I might lift my comfy mattress off of the floor- its nice when it doesn't look like you're living like a squatter.

I am a designer of function- not so much an aesthetician- which simply means that the form I give my work usually reflects how the item works much more than how I want it to appear (see futon). So if tasked in designing a bed, something like a four-poster or a canopy has no real interest to me because save for some bondage enthusiasts, they really serve no purpose. The same can be said of headboards and footboards. What is the point?

One could integrate storage, or a fold-out side table, or if you wanted, you could hang it from the ceiling. But for the simple act of sleep, I feel like its been done.

There are myriad ways to make a device to raise one's ass off the ground- hence the archetypal design object is the chair. Every designer does a chair. Do a search for your favorite designer's bed. There won't be much there. Loads of chairs though. This is what Corbusier had to offer the world of beds:



Here are some of my sketches. You'll notice most of them are sketches of nightstands. But after this bit of venting I think I know where I'm going to go with it after all.



No comments: