Sunday, August 29, 2010

Finishing School

Bed built, there is only one thing left to do- about 100 things. I wanted to take this project one step further than the futon and actually finish it. Staining and lacquering is not the most glamorous and fun part of building, but it is necessary for appearance and durability. Last week I sanded, stained, and applied three coats of lacquer to the bed frame.

Last night, I finally brought the frame inside after it had outgassed (read: stopped smelling like lighter fluid) and put it together. Nice.




Then, it was just the matter of putting the slats back into the frame. Amos helped.






I really like the look of the light wood slats on the dark wood of the frame.


This morning Jake helped me drag it upstairs, and tonight, I will sleep like an adult again.




No comments: