Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Last Two Weeks

Dear Internet,

After some serious demand by some readers, I am finally getting back to you all. Seriously- with as many people who reminded me I haven't written a post in the last couple of weeks you'd think I get 100 hits a day! But it's true- I haven't spent the last fortnight playing with the new router table. So much more has been going on.

The bed has been progressing slowly. When I get a chance to work on it, it comes out well, as the router table makes tenons a breeze, but right now, all I have is the three frames for the back, and a bit of editing is needed there. I should get back to the whole thing tomorrow- and have no trouble finishing the back, aside from the cushions in the next week. Although, I may jump to it- the idea of upholstering something is making me giddy.






The first week was filled by a trip to Atlantic City- a good friend was turning 21 and I promised his sister to show him a great time. I think fruit-flavored cigars on the boardwalk at 2am will be a birthday memory worth keeping. Our second night there we celebrated my birthday with a night of great food and more gambling. I ended the trip making an extra $150, and blew it all at the Apple store, buying myself an iPad for my birthday. Review to come later.




Upon return, the focus of the shop work turned to a project Jake was working on, making a three-foot tall model of a house out of corrugated cardboard. The model was four inches thick on all sides- and required gluing over 120 layers of cardboard together and cutting it on the table saw. Afterward we covered the studio in cardboard fuzz and super77, and lost a folding table to an un-impenetrable layer of glue and WD40. Much to our dismay, we did not see it put on Good Morning America like we had hoped.


After relaxing for a couple days, attention turned to shelving. Our shop needed more room for project work and more room for materials and the only way to go was up. We got a hint on a place that was getting rid of a whole mess of shelves- you'll remember them from the liquidation liquidation from months ago.





One long morning to take them apart and move them, another whole day to reassemble them in our place, put our work on them and move the curtains, and finally the shop is as much done as it can be. No more work delays to do some shop-related thing. And even better- no more spending money!

The last couple days Jake got into stop-motion animation and made this opening logo for our website (www.erg0.com) which is sure to be fleshed out in the coming months. I did come CAD work on our coatrack project we're doing for Chris (another blog post coming on that as well) and that gets you up to yesterday.

Now you all can stop bothering... Just kidding- it's great having people who care enough about what's happening in your life to push you to let on more about it! Thanks for reading, and stop by for a post tomorrow- I promise.

No comments: