Tuesday, June 1, 2010

One Month In, One Comission Complete


About 12 hours of work, about $180 in materials, and here it stands commission number 1 done. A cat ladder. Rumor has it, that other people in the building now want cat ladders. This might be the start of something weird. Some are saying Mike's Cat Devices, I'm thinking more like Mike's Custom Fabrication: "Because you need it, and it doesn't exist."

I have now lived in Oakland a month. Things have begun to settle here, and I'm quickly finding my place within the community. We are a large group of fun people who are getting things done- creating the tangible items with the intangible qualities brought by the creative mind. And I'm the guy who builds cat castles.

Or more likely, I'm a guy who makes things happen. Today I initiated a wildly successful e-mail thread regarding opening up our building to the public once monthly in order to show off our work, and get some free attention for our in-house businesses of which there are many. It seems everyone is on board- an amazing thing to get a whole 74 unit building to act in concert- Chris refers to it as turning a battleship. It appears this ship is a-turning.

On top of that, I have ordered a digital projector, and plan to host movie nights on Thursdays with films projected on the side of the building. Paul has offered the screen- he has quite an assortment of blank white material, and there is plenty of room in the handicapped space in front of his unit to seat lots of people. Making things happen.

Tonight I am headed to San Jose to see Maggie for the first time in over a month, and to help the AHA get ready for their bitchin' conference. I might meet Bill Nye the Science Guy you guys. The conference will keep me busy all weekend, but I'll try to keep you updated on goings on. Hasta Luego!

2 comments:

Dream Senshi said...

Awesome! :) And, we'll have to keep you in mind for whacky cat constructions once we get settled in. ;) Keep it up!! :D

Unknown said...

Mike. It looks like you have found your niche. And to think, you were going to make your fortunes making furniture.

I hereby christen you: The Cat Ladder Guy.