Sunday, May 30, 2010

My First Design-Build Comission, Nearly Complete!

Sorry its been a while since I last posted- I've been sick and/or out of town since Thursday, and only got back into some real work today.

Ok, so I have already mentioned this project before, but if you think about it- this cat ladder would be my first design-build commission- before all of you start lining up to buy futons, of course. I got back on it today, starting with some supports- more drilling into ornery hardwood, and today I broke 3 drill bits over the course of an hour. A quick trip to the Depot, and I got 8 new ones to back these up (they're like a buck a piece).

A couple hours later and I had this structure in all its glory- held together with 59 screws and one broken-off and firmly lodged drill bit- but right now just a skeleton waiting for its skin.



The next step was to make some platforms. These are just 15" square planks with a couple of rails attached to them with finishing nails, then I did my first ever upholstering job with my staple gun. Not bad, if I do say so myself.



There are a few changes and additions that need to be made, but this is the basic structure of it. I had Jackie test it out and she got down fine, and I put some food up top and Amos was able to climb it. Another complete success!





Too bad with the amount I spent on drill bits and moulding material I will definitely be taking a loss on this. No matter- its nearly done and I'm proud of it. And I don't ever have to work with this lousy material again. The last steps are some sanding, cleaning, and attaching a base. Which I will do tomorrow. As for right now, I must prepare for a Memorial Day party! Thanks for reading.

No comments: