Sunday, May 2, 2010

Acknowledgements

It was a hell of a fun trip- an exciting adventure to say the least. I am now here, safe and sound, ready to start a new adventure. Jon has taken the flight back to BWI, and so now I proceed as a one man show.

Some people to thank-

Chelsea and Andy for putting us up in Columbus, showing us some cool spots, and finding that Adult swim party. How awesome was that? We'll see each other again, and play a game of coasters.

Jenny and Stu for treating us to an experience in Nashville- what a music scene! I love your city- and we listened to the Chris Weaver Band CD several times through along the trip. Jenny, you sign them as soon as you are able.

Alex for showing us a great time in Chicago, getting us the best deep dish in town, and bringing back old times with a bit of healthy debate. The three amigos are now strewn across the country- we'll have to find a reason to get back together soon.

Maggie for the road food- we killed all f it save for the peanut butter cups and the twizzlers. I'm excited to see you and Roy in a month, and I expect to have the futon built by then. PS, you may have to park outside the gate, so you might want to consider packing heat.

Everyone who read the blog, especially those who made comments. We read every one out, and they often gave us some great laughs during some very long road trips. Thank you all.

Dad for dealing with my cats and stuff getting shipped. It was complicated and ornery, but Amos and Jackie are alive, and my stuff is in California according to my tracking information. Los Angeles, California.

Marquart for your secret gift- it sure came in handy when we got stuck in the salt flats!

Some quick thanks: the American Highway system, McDonald's free wifi, continental drift, the proprietor of "The Panda" in Salt Lake City, Hotwire.com, Friedwart Winterburg for his work on the GPS, Bonneville Mud-Cat operators, the fine people of middle America, the Chris Weaver Band, the Colorado snow plow crew, the inventor of the rumble strip, Toucan Sam, the stickmen at the Montbleu, and, of course Barack Obama.

Finally, to Jon- thank so much for making this trip awesome and fun. Thanks for making us go right through the Rockies, and driving when I was too hung over. Thank you most of all for seeing me all the way through to Oakland. Its quite appropriate that my oldest friend be the last to say goodbye. It was a week that felt like a month and I'll never forget it. Thanks too to Ashleigh for giving up your husband for 9 days.

That's all for this part of the blog- I will be making updates daily, and they will be personal, but focused more on design. And if you're wondering- I will be changing that ugly green banner at the top of the page. Probably something a bit more...orange?

After dropping off Jon at the airport, I went to Home Depot, bought some tools, and built this work table:




You'll notice its an homage to every work table ever made. Very high concept, you might not get it if you haven't studied Le Corbusier in detail.

Tomorrow I intend to build one identical to it, and put it next to the first one, and build a platform for my miter saw. Semester one will be furniture design and construction.

All for now, more later.

No comments: