Monday, May 10, 2010

Furniture Design: Coffee table complete, Futon Proto nearly complete, and a new roommate!

After a long night of drinking and commiserating with the neighbors- it turns out Paul just lost his mother as well- I went home and to sleep. The next day brought me to Home Depot again, and I got the jig saw I needed, some pipe for the coffee table, a microwave, a shop vac (finally), and some extension cords. The weekend is over- time to build again.

I first cut the aluminum pipe to fit the coffee table- the tube fit right over the built in clips on the Nomadic frame. I held my breath, and flipped it over. No tear-out! Its standing beautifully in my living room right now. I tested the strength of the table by putting the cat on it. It held!



Then the next step was to work more on the futon. The plywood was looking lousy, so I decided I'd make a prototype with it, to test the location of the runners. Using the jig saw this time, I duplicated the pattern from Friday, and attached the two plywood sheets together.



I then made a plywood proto for the seat part of the futon, and hinged it with duct tape, screwed it to some plastic electrical conduit in lieu of pipes and used this to properly mark the location of the runners for the lower half of the futon. I have no pictures of this, so here's a gratuitous shot of Jackie on top of the kitchen cabinets.



awwwww

After that, I began shaping the arm sections more like I intend to have the final ones. Aside from the legs, which I'm not sure on yet, they should look something like this.



Tomorrow is about copying this one, and marking the path of the lower runners.

So, not long after, I got a phone call from one of my good friends, Jake Cohen (many of you know Jake, JMU grad, former WhatWorks co-owner). He had recently had a falling out with his roommates in Seattle and needed a place to live. I thought about it, and figured- what the heck? We could at least give it a try. Its not like there isn't enough space.

So I'm expecting Jake to arrive either tomorrow or Wednesday, and we'll see how that changes things. I can assure you he will be a part of design that goes on here, and i hope it can be a positive partnership.

No comments: