Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Furniture Design: Futon Prototype Complete!

A proof of concept prototype is a significant step in the design process. You use it to verify that your idea makes sense, to see how your imagined idea functions when it has to contend with things like physics, and to learn what needs to be changed or at least focused on in the creation of a final prototype. Proof of concepts can have marks from changes, parts that are the wrong size, and even use materials like cardboard or even duct tape. The important thing is that you illustrate to yourself- and often your client- that this thing is gonna work.

The futon POC prototype needed some trimming to be a bit more futon-like, and needed to have the runners cut out for the pipes that would be supporting the seat part of the couch. I rigged up this fancy contraption- taping a protractor to my stand-in seat-back and marking in regular intervals where the pipes would be:



Then I drew in the pipes, and connected them into a smooth arc.



Back to the jig saw to cut out the new slots, then tracing the first side onto the second side, and cutting it out again. I set up the rig again, screwed the pipes in place, and it was testing time...




It works! I have a couple of hangups in the resetting action, but I know what they are and how to fix them. Now that I have the form, its just a matter of figuring out how to translate that into decent wood.

This afternoon/evening, however, I will be hanging up the microwave and cleaning the shop, and trying to figure out how Jake fits into this apartment. And I think a trip to Trader Joe's as well. Thanks!

No comments: