Monday, May 17, 2010

The Liquidation Liquidation and One Heck of a Party

Weekend number 2 in Oakland, and things are good.

Mondau marks the beginning of my focused designing- at one product a week. Today's goal is to read on Eames from a book Maggie purchased at MoMA for me on one of her NY trips. I plan to find some sort of factory that I can visit today or tomorrow to get inspired about work tables- my next project to build.

What happened to the futon?

The futon is designed, now its just a matter of figuring out how its going to be made. I'll work on this concurrently with other projects and hopefully have it done by the time I have my first visitors here in early June.

This weekend was very cool- Paul and Martin took me over to this giant electrical supply company liquidator building, that was, in turn, itself being liquidated. Confused? Basically a company that used to engage in liquidations went out of business, with tons of supplies in stock- and this meant HUGE discounts on the inventory.



I got a bunch of stuff for some lighting projects I have planned in the near future, as well as some color-ed glass globes, which are always fun, some bins for tools, and a length of hose I plan to turn into a dust collection system with my shop vac. All told, we gathered a truckload of stuff- and paid only $220 for it. This gave Paul and Martin ideas about buying all of it and reselling it to make some serious cash- but the idea was ruled too much effort for the money.

Sunday I built an Ikea wardrobe for Jake to put his clothes in, and checked out a nearby gym (got to get healthy again). But the fun didn't start until last night. My neighbour, Chelsea, somehow managed to get this chill band to play in her apartment, which opened out onto the parking lot. We set up the fire pit again, but this time there were a bunch more people and awesome music. Here, a bunch of guys are jamming, just letting it flow organically by the firelight. Its like a benevolent conversation, but I don't speak the language to participate.



Today after reading and maybe that furniture trip, I'm going to catch the Oakland A's game with my cousin Dan, who is in the Bay with some of his college friends. I'll update how that one goes tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have some more insight into work tables.

No comments: