Monday, May 24, 2010

Maker Faire: Part 2- Things to do!

So if you came to Maker Faire to witness what others have done, if you just wanted to be a spectator- you're only halfway there. The event is loaded with two days full of special events and activities that are all interactive, from a laser cutter you can operate yourself to a clothing swap free-for-all.

I caught two shows I really wanted to see- the Diet Coke and Mentos extravaganza, and Adam Savage from 'Mythbusters' doing his presentation on problem solving. The first was short, but exciting, and left me splashed pretty well in Coke.



Adam Savage was cool, not entirely inspirational, but his Q and A about the show was quite enlightening. The entire building was filled on all sides to see him, and I was right up front by the barrier, being the Mythbusters fanboy that I am.



I had wanted to stick around for a 'learn to solder' class or a seminar on a simple programming for Arduino called 'ModKit,' but after taking the time to see the robot fights and the enormous creation of the 'Mouse Trap' board game, it was time to go home. I still left some on the plate for next year to try.

I know its not a feeling shared by everyone, but I think its good to know that in this digital age, with flat-pack this, and instant that, that there are still people who are taking the time to craft items of sheer awe that we can walk around and touch. People who make these things add to the richness of life with their creativity and it all starts with saying the phrase, 'I think that would be pretty neat.' So keep making, you makers out there, and I'll see you next year.

No comments: